What will happen once I have shared my concerns with the school?

For many children, simple changes to the way that the curriculum is delivered can make a significant impact on reducing the barriers to their learning, and with these changes in place they are often able to catch up with their peers and make expected levels of progress. In School we call this ‘differentiating the curriculum’. Your child’s class teacher will be doing this on a daily basis in order to ensure that all the children in the class can make the most of the learning experiences presented. Our school aim is to ensure that all children achieve their full potential.

For some children this may not be enough to help them make expected progress and they may need something which is ‘additional to and different from’ that which is normally provided for all children. If a child requires this type of support the School will monitor them according to the SEN Code of Practice. You will be kept informed of the additional support that your child is receiving by either written correspondence, at parents’ evenings and/or at IEP meetings. This could mean that the class teacher may be using different strategies to help your child to learn, or perhaps your child will be receiving some additional support in a small group alongside other children with similar needs. Any small group work will be carefully targeted to address your child’s needs and his or her progress will be closely monitored and evaluated. You may be asked by School to support your child’s learning by carrying out some simple tasks at home such as extra reading practice, or providing opportunities to practise new skills that have been taught in class. Please ask your child’s class teacher for some suggestions as to how you can best support your child’s learning at home.

The school will monitor your child at this stage for a period of time. Often this level of support, in addition to the classroom curriculum differentiation, is sufficient to help your child and they will make greater progress. However, for some children this may not be enough and the School, with your agreement, will make the decision to increase the level of support provided. This simply means that the school have decided to involve some external professionals or agencies to provide them with more specialist advice and guidance. This external support might be from an Educational Psychologist; Speech and Language Therapist; Occupational / Physiotherapist; Specialist Advisory Teacher; or a medical professional. If your child’s needs are wide ranging or more complex, then it may involve several of these people who will need to work in a co-ordinated way.