What should I do if I have a complaint about my child’s SEN support?

Complaints about SEN provision in our school should be made to the SENCO in the first instance. They will then be referred to the school’s complaints policy.

If you are not satisfied with the school’s response, you can escalate the complaint.

To see a full explanation of suitable avenues for complaint, see pages 246 and 247 of the SEN Code of Practice.

If you feel that our school discriminated against your child because of their SEND, you have the right to make a discrimination claim to the first-tier SEND tribunal. To find out how to make such a claim, you should visit: https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-school/disability-discrimination.

You can make a claim about alleged discrimination regarding:

  •           Admission
  •           Exclusion
  •           Provision of education and associated services
  •           Making reasonable adjustments, including the provision of auxiliary aids and services

Before going to a SEND tribunal, you can go through processes called disagreement resolution or mediation, where you try to resolve your disagreement before it reaches the tribunal.